A guide to applicants for the Gavin and Ann Kellaway Medical Research Fellowship
*Please read these notes carefully before completing your application.*
ObjectiveThe Auckland Medical Research Foundation’s (AMRF) vision is to improve the health and quality of life for all New Zealanders. We aim to achieve this by providing genuine advances in health, science and medicine through funding the highest quality medical research of all kinds.
Funding areaThe AMRF’s research funding area is limited to all recognised tertiary institutions and district health boards (DHBs) in the greater Auckland and Northland region of New Zealand. The principal investigator/grant holder must be affiliated with a host institution within this area, and the majority of work should be undertaken within this area, but co-applicants can come from, and part of the research can be performed, outside our catchment area - either nationally or internationally.
How to applyUse the on-line application form provided, after first creating an account. The application must be created and submitted from the applicant's portal account.
Purpose of the grantThis Fellowship is for the support of senior medically qualified*, or established medical research# persons, who would gain value from furthering their research expertise and knowledge at one or more approved overseas research institutions.
Value of grantUp to $20,000 per month.
Tenure of grantUp to 6 months, but flexible so please contact the AMRF to discuss.
Number of grants awardedThe AMRF offers one to two each year, but may consider more on the available funds and quality of applications.
Eligibility* To apply you must be a New Zealand resident, permanent resident or citizen. Applications from non-New Zealand residents or citizens will not be accepted.
* * ”Senior medically qualified” generally relates to someone who has completed their MBChB programme and has established, or is in the process of establishing, themselves in their chosen speciality. * # “Established medical research” generally relates to someone who has completed their postgraduate degree and has established, or is in the process of establishing, themselves as an independent researcher in their chose field.
* The start date of the Fellowship must be after the award date (decision date) of that round. Please check the grant rounds dates on the How to Apply page on our website.
Writing guidelines* When you write your application, please remember that your research proposal may be reviewed by both discipline-specific referees and also by members of the Medical Committee with a broad range of experience in health research. Please structure your proposal in a clear and succinct way and if possible seek feedback from a colleague outside your immediate research area.* If your research involves the use of laboratory animals, the AMRF recommends that you familiarise yourself with the ARRIVE guidelines (Animal Research: Reporting of In Vivo Experiments). Not all the guidelines may be relevant to your project, but you can use them to ensure that you plan your experiments carefully and include all the relevant information in your application(s) crucial to the peer review process at the application stage, as well as providing all the experimental details, results and analysis required for publications that arise from the work.
* If your research involves a clinical trial, the AMRF recommends that you familiarise yourself with the SPIRIT 2013 Statement (Standard Protocol Items: Recommendations for Interventional Trials). Not all the guidelines may be relevant to your project, but you can use them to ensure that you plan your trial carefully and include all the relevant information in your application(s) crucial to the peer review process at the application stage, as well as providing all the trial details, results and analysis required for publications that arise from the work.* Please use the standard New Zealand MSI Curriculum Vitae template. This can be download from the link within the application form. You should complete only Parts 1 and 2a, include no more than five pages in total, and list references only from the last five years.
Budget guidelines* Please provide sufficient information in the “Details” section of each budget line.
* If you are putting together a combined programme of conferences, laboratory visits, meeting with collaborators, etc please separate each part of the programme into defined a “Purpose” within the budget table (where possible).* Please provide copies of receipts or quotations to support each budget line entry (where applicable).
General* The terms of this Fellowship are flexible, so if you have a programme of conferences, laboratory visits, meeting with collaborators, etc, and are considering applying for a travel grant to fund part of your programme please contact the Research Programme Manager to discuss your eligibility for this Fellowship.
* The Fellowship will usually be administered by the Host Institution through which you submitted your application. However, in some instances due to the nature of the Fellowship programme, this is not possible and the AMRF will work with the grant holder to administer the funds directly.
The AMRF will not fund* The AMRF will not fund any element of overhead recovery, including salary buyout.* The AMRF does not fund costs of heating, lighting and what might be termed the usual office facilities and accessories.
* The AMRF does not fund major items of equipment costing more than $5,000.
Regulatory approval* Experimentation or questionnaires involving human subjects requires approval from an HRC accredited ethics committee. Experimentation with animals requires approval from a registered animal ethics committee. Either attach the approval(s) to the application, or indicate that approval is being sought. * All appropriate regulatory approvals must be in place before the grant can be activated.
* If the project involves a clinical trial, please indicate if the trail is registered and with which clinical trial registry. Please also provide details of your data safety monitoring committee if applicable.* Applications will not be considered unless the Applicant Agreement is completed.
Publicity declarationThe AMRF is supported by private donations and therefore has an obligation through the news media, and its own newsletters to members and supporters, to report research that it supports. By becoming a recipient of an AMRF grant, you automatically agree to the mention of your name to media and stakeholders.The AMRF raises awareness of its aims with the general public, by inviting AMRF funded researchers to discuss their research with local interest groups (Rotary, U3A etc). By becoming a recipient of an AMRF grant, you automatically agree to be included on a list of available guest speakers.
Submission procedureLog into the AMRF Portal at funding.medicalresearch.org.nz and create a new application. Ensure all the required details are entered and all necessary documents have been attached.Clicking ‘Submit’ on your application form sends it to your host institution. They will then complete their requirements, before officially submitting it to the AMRF. Your host institution compliance process takes time so please adhere to internal deadlines to ensure your application reaches the AMRF by 5 pm on the closing date.Please refer to the Application process help page for details of what happens to your submitted application.Additional information can be found in the Grant Proposal template.
Our contact details
|POSTAL ADDRESS||The Research Programme Manager|
Auckland Medical Research FoundationP O Box 110139
Auckland HospitalAuckland 1148
|TELEPHONE||+64 9 923 1701 |
|COURIER||Ground Floor, 89 Grafton Road|
If you can't find the information you need, please use the contact form at the bottom of this page
to send an inquiry to the Auckland Medical Research Foundation.
Welcome | Dashboard | Applications | List all applications | Grant type filter | Funding round filter | Status filter | Page reload | Categories and themes | Application process | Guides for application types | Doctoral Scholarships | Douglas Goodfellow Repatriation Fellowship | Postdoctoral Fellowship | Project Grants | Ruth Spencer Medical Research Fellowship | Gavin and Ann Kellaway Medical Research Fellowship | Sir Harcourt Caughey Award | Travel Grants | Douglas Goodfellow Medical Research Fellowship | Wilton Henley Memorial Travelling Scholarship | Sir Douglas Robb Memorial Fund | Jean Cathie Research Fund | J I Sutherland Medical Research Fellowship | Create new application | Personal options | Profile | Log out | Messages