*Please read these notes carefully before completing your application*
* $5,000 working expenses per annum* $5,000 travel grant
* $4,000 relocation expenses (if required)
* You must hold a doctoral degree of not more than five years standing (at annual decision date which is listed on the How to apply page of our website), irrespective of the University from which their PhD was conferred. Career breaks will be taken into account.* As an early career development award, the AMRF values the PI’s/mentor’s support of the recipient and their research project and their commitment to helping them develop their career as an independent researcher. Therefore, a PI/mentor of a group may only support one application for an AMRF Postdoctoral Fellowship submitted to the granting round.
* The AMRF only accepts one re-submission of a previously unsuccessful Postdoctoral Fellowship application. It is an expectation that the applicant addresses all concerns raised by the referees and medical committee in their re-submission. An applicant who has been unsuccessful twice can submit further proposals in their chosen field of research, but it will need to be based on a new or substantially revised hypothesis.* The start date of the Fellowship must be after the award date (decision date) of that round. Please check the grant rounds dates on the How to Apply page on our website.
* Applications should be written and submitted by the applicant personally.* When you write your application, please remember that your research proposal will be reviewed by both discipline-specific referees and also by members of the Medical Committee with a broad range of experience in health research. Please structure your proposal in a clear and succinct way and if possible seek feedback from a colleague outside your immediate research area.
* If the research involves the use of laboratory animals, the AMRF recommends that you familiarise yourself with the ARRIVE guidelines (Animal Research: Reporting of In Vivo Experiments). Not all the guidelines may be relevant to your project, but you can use them to ensure that you plan your experiments carefully and include all the relevant information in your application(s) crucial to the peer review process at the application stage, as well as providing all the experimental details, results and analysis required for publications that arise from the work.* If the research involves a clinical trial, the AMRF recommends that you familiarise yourself with the SPIRIT 2013 Statement (Standard Protocol Items: Recommendations for Interventional Trials). Not all the guidelines may be relevant to your project, but you can use them to ensure that you plan your trial carefully and include all the relevant information in your application(s) crucial to the peer review process at the application stage, as well as providing all the trial details, results and analysis required for publications that arise from the work.
* Please use the standard New Zealand MSI Curriculum Vitae template. This can be download from the link within the application form. You should complete only Parts 1 and 2a, include no more than five pages in total, and list references only from the last five years.* Applications must include a letter of support from your PI/Mentor providing clear evidence of their support of you and your career. You should also include in this letter, (or another letter from your Head of Department/School hosting the research), written confirmation stating that if successful, you will be offered a contract for the duration of the new grant and that additional working expenses and facilities essential to the research project will be supplied.
* The salary component is the equivalent to the appropriate level of the non-medical Lecturer/Research Fellow scale at your host institution. It is essential to quote the correct salary rate and grading. Applicants must accommodate salary increases within their budget and should adjust their salary to include anticipated increases due to the annual rate of inflation (we recommend a minimum of 3% p.a., but please check with your host institution for the correct value). The AMRF will not cover unbudgeted salary increases.* Please ensure you set the correct ACC levy for your host institution.
* Please include or leave empty Kiwisaver/superannuation as appropriate.* The AMRF provides up to $5,000 p.a. for working expenses for every year of Fellowship awarded. These working expenses can be used to support research costs associated with your project. In the budget ‘Justification’ section of the application form, clearly identify what you plan to use your working expenses for and provide strong justification for requesting them. List individual items where necessary or group them within a heading. The AMRF will consider funding *:
* If you want to cover an item that is not included in the list above, please contact the Research Programme Manager on 923 1706 to discuss the suitability.
* The Fellow will be recognised as an employee of the host institution which will administer the Fellowship.* Other forms of awards may not be held in conjunction with the AMRF’s Fellowship nor may Fellows undertake additional remunerated employment without the consent of the AMRF.
* The AMRF does not fund costs of rental accommodation, heating, lighting and what might be termed the usual office facilities and accessories.* The AMRF does not fund major items of equipment costing more than $5,000.
* All appropriate regulatory approvals must be in place before the grant can be activated.* If the project involves a clinical trial, please indicate if the trail is registered and with which clinical trial registry. Please also provide details of your data safety monitoring committee if applicable.
* Applications will not be considered unless the Applicant Agreement is completed.
The AMRF raises awareness of its aims with the general public, by inviting AMRF funded researchers to discuss their research with local interest groups (Rotary, U3A etc). By becoming a recipient of an AMRF grant, you automatically agree to be included on a list of available guest speakers.
|POSTAL ADDRESS||Research Programme Manager|
Auckland Medical Research Foundation
|TELEPHONE||+64 9 923 1701|
|COURIER||Ground Floor, 89 Grafton Road|